Monday, April 19, 2010

Race for the Cure

A few months ago I posted how I was sad that I wouldn’t be able to walk with my dad this year because I would be 39 weeks pregnant.  Apparently I needed to be more specific and that I didn’t want to walk, because I would be 39 weeks pregnant, but I digress. I was nervous about the walk because of my lack of exercise the past 9 months. I was exercising when I was pregnant with Aidan, but not strenuously. My parent’s live on the canal and so we walk a mile there, do the 5k and then a mile back to their apartment. Needless to say I was exhausted and very sore.   We finished in an hour which was 6 minutes slower than last year. I’m very happy with our pace. After we passed the 2 mile mark my legs started to hurt pretty badly, they ended up going numb and I was able to finish the walk.  I did ask Aidan to help me with the last half mile and I did pick up the pace a little. Overall it was a nice “practice” walk to prepare for the March on Sunday.  I know that we’ll go slower for the March.

Emotionally I did okay during the walk.  When we were standing with our 40,000 closest friends I looked around and what did I see? I saw an itty bitty baby boy that was wrapped up in a paw print blanket. It was one of the same blankets that we registered for.  I just fell into my dad’s shoulder and started to cry. I also started to cry when we were walking next to Lucas Oil Stadium, where the Colts play. Aidan and I had such a good time at the Colts games, well I did when I would pat my tummy during the songs or cross both our hearts during the national anthem.

I assumed my legs would be sore after the walk, but I was very surprised that my incision was very sore. I know Dr. B told me last month that I would be sore, but I didn’t think it still would be now.  I’ve decided to look at it as one more reminder of having my little boy. So now with my lessons learned I’ll be prepared for next week when we walk in Aidan’s name.

I love you Aidan Christopher and thanks for helping me finish the walk!

Maggs

No comments:

Post a Comment