Sunday, March 13, 2011

I no longer hate breastfeeding!

After all the responses that I got to my last post about it, I decided to try one more time. Something magical happened and Lucas latched on right away. We still occasionally have to use a bottle, but that's only when I'm exhausted and need a break. The support group really really really helped my confidence and I got Lucas back to his birth weight. Every day is getting a little easier and I'm so glad I tried one more time.  I'm still going to the support group twice a week to keep an eye on his weight and to get more help. I really encourage anyone that is having trouble breastfeeding to seek help.

Here's what I learned at the support group:
Lucas is a lazy eater. Part of that is because of his jaundice being so bad and the pain killers that I'm on. To help combat that I have to annoy the snot out of him when he's latched on. I have to rub his head, tickle his feet, rub his sides and tap his chin to keep him going. During the support group, I weigh him every 10 minutes and then switch boobs until he gets close to getting 2 oz. At home I switch boobs every 10 minutes to make sure he's being an efficient eater.  Sometimes if the annoying thing doesn't work, I push some pumped breastmilk into his mouth through a syringe. That helps to stimulate him to start sucking again. Yes it's a lot of work, but every time we nurse it's getting better. I don't have to annoy him as much (granted I don't know how much he's eating) he's sleeping better and we just have a much better relationship.

So thank you for all the advice and support from my last post. I really needed that to try one more time and I'm so much happier and so is my household. Here's another picture that Kathy took in the hospital and I'm so glad that I have this picture.
I love you Aidan Christopher and Lucas Alexander

Maggs

8 comments:

  1. ::quietly celebrates to not disturb Lucas:: Good job, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful picture! He will get better with practice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! I love this post and the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're such an awesome mama. I love you. That picture is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I'm so glad it's working out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you found some support and tried again. Such a beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you stuck it out! I know it can REALLY suck (no pun intended) at first but SOOO worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay!! awesome... that's so great you tried again. i'm happy for you and Lucas :)

    ReplyDelete