Monday, March 5, 2012

I did it

*If you don't want to read about my pumping breast milk, stop right here.*

I reached my goal of pumping for a year! I wanted to nurse Lucas for a year, but stopped at 13 weeks because he was just an awful eater. Never would latch correctly unless I was at support group. I decreased my pumping scheduled at 7 months and we introduced formula so I wouldn't be constantly attached to the pump. I was nervous that my supply would go down and I would have to add in more formula than I was comfortable with. When Lucas got croup he couldn't stomach formula so I increased my supply and that was the start of the end of formula for him. He was officially off breast milk when he was 1 year and 4 days old. He transitioned perfectly to cows milk. He is right on track for his curve on the growth chart and I know I did the best thing for him by pumping for over a year.

Weaning was difficult for me. It was on a similar time line of when I stopped pumping to donate in Aidan's name. So a lot of emotions came up. I couldn't remember what OTC I could take to help lower my supply and I ended up having to google what to take after a loss. That really hurt my heart. There were several times that I just wanted to pump again since that was the only thing I could give Lucas that was just me and him. I wanted so badly to give Aidan a bottle to see if that would help, but he couldn't handle it. So I added extra pressure of wanting to hit a year with Lucas. So many little things that I didn't think would bother me after losing Aidan, but it has.

I do have to admit that it's awesome to not have the pump with me every where I go. I can enjoy a couple of drinks on St. Patty's without worrying about it going into the milk. My fridge is now full of healthy snacks for Lucas and I don't have to remember which one to grab first in order of date pumped. lol So to my Medela Freestyle, I will see you again in a few years. For now, enjoy the break.


I love you Aidan Christopher and Lucas Alexander


Maggs

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I'm almost at 8 months pumping and I know at this point I can make it to a year. I'm hoping I might even be able to keep going until Kaia is at least 1 year 'corrected' but we'll see about that. It's a lot of work. Good for you! What meds did you take to decrease your supply?

    ReplyDelete