Sunday, September 18, 2011

Going to start adding formula

So I've decided to start adding formula to the breast milk. I came to this decision because I'm sick of pumping all the time. I have to pump 6 times a day and I'm just barely making enough. He's now eating 30 oz a day and two full jars of fruits and veggies. Well he should be eating the 2nd jar at home at night, but because of pumping and Chris was out of town I didn't have time. I had to come home, get him down for his pre-bed time nap, pump, make dinner, give him a bottle, bath and then bed. So now I will be pumping at work only during the week and on the weekends I'll be pumping on the same schedule as at work. Then adding formula. This plan will start next weekend. I want Lucas to go 7 months with no formula and since he'll be 7 months on Thursday it's a perfect time to start.

I didn't make this decision lightly. I really struggled with the idea of having to pay for food when right now I make enough for him to eat. Also I felt guilty for stopping when I know so many women who so badly want to breastfeed, but can't. I have to do what's best for my family though. I want to be on the floor playing with Lucas. So starting on Saturday, Lucas will get 1 oz of formula mixed with 4 oz of breast milk and work our way up to half and half.

I love you Aidan Christopher and Lucas Alexander

Maggs

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for going this long! We had trouble BFing/pumping and I chose to switch to formula 4 weeks in, but I think BFing is awesome if you're able to do it. Since he's getting some solids now, too, you can be sure he's getting plenty of nutrition. You're doing what's best for you and your baby, and that's all that matters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack was the same age as Lucas when we started formula. I had the same issues with you (not pumping enough, pumping all the darn time, etc.). You should be really proud of yourself for making it this long but I do know how it feels as a mom to come to a decision like this.

    - Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to add formula for my little girl. I think you're making a smart decision :)

    I found you through Faces of Loss. I'm hosting a blogfest for mothers who have lost infants or children. I would love it if you could join us and share your story. Thanks for your time.
    -Elisa

    Here's that link:
    http://ecwrites.blogspot.com/2011/09/only-50-more-days-until-golden-sky.html?showComment=1317367512296#c7067417673821287452

    ReplyDelete